Orchardgrass - Latar (L)
An "older" variety of forage production grass released in 1957, Latar Orchardgrass is known for its late maturity and high-quality hay production when blended with alfalfa. This grass boasts abundant, broad, and noticeably light green leaves, as well as good seed production. Its low lignin content and high digestibility make it a highly palatable and nutritious option for grazing or hay production. Despite facing competition from newer varieties, Latar Orchardgrass continues to thrive as an excellent choice for orchardgrass in your forage production or conservation seedings.
- Late Maturity - matures 10-14 days later than common orchardgrass
- Low Lignin and High Digestibility/Palatability
- Drought Tolerant
- Slower to Establish Than Traditional Ryegrass
- Seeding Rate Alone: 10-15 lbs./acre
- Seeding Rate in a Mix: 3-5 lbs./acre
- Seeding Depth: 1/8 in. to 1/4 in.